St. Herman House

4410 Franklin Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44113

216-961-3806 Visit Website
Class of Housing/Services: temporary shelter for men.

General Information:
Provides temporary shelter to sober, destitute men. Clients may participate in religious services and are required to assist with meal service and household chores.   Shelter capacity is 28.   Emergency Shelter Emergency shelter for 28 men in our main house. If you are in need of shelter, please call us at 216-961-3806 or stop by to meet us and fill out an application. Hot Meal Program Three hot meals a day, 365 days a year, to anyone in need. We are the only facility in the city of Cleveland that provides three hot meals a day to the public. In 2019 we served more than 72,000 meals. We are a member agency of the Greater Cleveland Food Bank. Breakfast is served every morning between 7-7:30,  lunch 11:30-12, and dinner 5:30- 6. Basic Needs We give away clothing to men year-round. Our food pantry distributes grocery bags during the last five weekdays of each month to families with dependents. Sandwiches and toiletry kits are handed out daily as needed. Resident Services and Referral Program We connect all residents with local agencies for case management. Through referrals and collaboration, we support each resident to address unemployment, substance abuse, mental health and other barriers to independent living. Jobs and Life Skills Program At present, this program has several components. Men in the main house work in temporary positions – typically custodial and landscaping – for which they are paid. There are also unpaid positions within the house that are filled by residents. These include drivers, cooks, beekeepers, cleaners, and administrative positions. The paid and unpaid positions give structure to the day, build a sense of responsibility, and give the men experience that can help in finding permanent employment. At any given time, approximately half the residents of the shelter are engaged in part or full-time paid employment. Transitional Housing Transitional housing three doors down from the main house for 12 men. Men are eligible to live in the transitional house if they have a source of income, six months of sobriety, and are working with a case manager. Residents pay a program fee (approximately $300 per month), equivalent to subsidized rent. In 2019, we housed 72 men in the shelter and transitional house. If you are seeking transitional housing, please call us at 216-961-3806.


Helpful Definitions For St. Herman House:
Transitional housing is affordable supportive housing designed to provide housing and appropriate support services to persons who are homeless or who are close to homelessness. The transition is to help them be more self sufficient to move towards independent living on their own. Transitional housing locations are oftentimes called Halfway Houses. The naming of the two (Halfway House OR Transitional House) is oftentimes interchangeable.

Many Transitional Housing programs are subsidized and are income based. Income based transitional housing generally charges 30% of your income for rent when you do have income. Contact the transitional housing facility to see if this applies.

Services provided at transitional housing facilities varies from substance abuse treatment, to psychological assistance, job training, domestic violence assistance, etc. The assistance provided varies, but it is generally affordable and low cost housing. Read the descriptions of each of the transitional living locations for more detailed information. Transitional housing facilities also may or may not assist with alcohol and/or drug substance abuse treatment.

How To Volunteer at St. Herman House:
Be a volunteer. Call St. Herman House at 216-961-3806 for current volunteer work opportunities.

As A General Note About Listings: does our best to provide listings that are free of cost. Many of the homeless shelters and services are free of charge. Some do charge small fees. We always urge the users of our website to visit the websites of the providers listed, OR give them a phone call to find out complete details.

In furtherance; Halfway Houses, Transitional Housing, and Substance Abuse Treatment Centers for the most part charge a fee. Most of the substance abuse resources we provide are low cost, Medicaid or sliding scale fee. We provide as much information as possible on the website of these locations.

Rooming and Boarding Houses do charge fees. We list them where we find them. They are a nice low cost option for housing.

Post Comment OR Correction
If you need assistance call 'St. Herman House' directly at: 216-961-3806

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding St. Herman House, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...