Dann's House

P.O.Box 1711
Traverse City, MI 49685

231-421-5290 Visit Website
General Information:
Dann's House is a nonprofit organization that provides supportive housing for people who have experienced chronic homelessness and also suffer from persistent, severe Alcohol Use Disorder. The house does not require residents to abstain from alcohol. Dann's House began as part of StonesHouse, a nonprofit formed in 2005 to help communities develop recovery residences and supports.   Alcohol is permitted, but not provided to the residents. We have policies and procedures in place, modelled after those of other successful houses. The members of the household form their own community and determine further house rules, including providing input on who else can move in to the house, as well as guidelines for having visitors, which maintain the stability of the house atmosphere and the considerations of being good neighbors. In fact, the most immediate neighbors have children, and have renewed their lease. Is Dann's House a recovery treatment program? Traditional recovery programs require complete abstinence from alcohol or drugs. Residents at Dann's House are permitted to drink their own alcohol, just as anyone else is permitted to drink in their own home. The 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) describes Alcohol Use Disorder as a set of 11 symptoms. The presence of 6 or more prompts a diagnosis of Severe AUD. Any reduction of symptoms is now considered part of the process of recovery. Following this model, which is the latest in the recovery industry, Dann's House could be described as supporting recovery. However, no counseling, therapy, 12-Step programs, or treatment are provided at Dann's House. Residents are encouraged and assisted in pursuing such supports if they desire. Do residents live there for free? No. Residents are expected to contribute to the cost of their housing, whether through earned income or Social Security / Disability income, determined according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development formula of up to 30% of their income. Residents who have no income are expected to apply for benefits. There are common areas of the house, and an organized approach to maintaining them, and there are specially trained staff and volunteers present to provide support and assistance. Dann's House is specifically intended for people who have been chronically homeless and chronically addicted to alcohol. The Case Manager and Board members work with other agencies that address homelessness, including Goodwill Street Outreach, Northern Michigan Supportive Housing, and other members of the Continuum of Care. Together, we identify people who would benefit from living at Dann's House and who seem to be able to live in the community of the house. Current residents also provide input into the decision-making.  

Website: http://dannshouse.org

Helpful Definitions For Dann's House:
Supportive Housing Programs that provide an alternative living arrangement for individuals who, because of age, disability, substance abuse, mental illness, chronic homelessness or other circumstances, are unable to live independently without care, supervision and/or support to help them in the activities of daily living; or who need access to case management, housing support, vocational, employment and other services to transition to independent living.

How To Volunteer at Dann's House:
Be a volunteer. Call Dann's House at 231-421-5290 for current volunteer work opportunities.

As A General Note About ShelterListings.org Listings:
ShelterListings.org does our best to provide listings that are free of cost. Many of the homeless shelters and services are free of charge. Some do charge small fees. We always urge the users of our website to visit the websites of the providers listed, OR give them a phone call to find out complete details.

In furtherance; Halfway Houses, Transitional Housing, and Substance Abuse Treatment Centers for the most part charge a fee. Most of the substance abuse resources we provide are low cost, Medicaid or sliding scale fee. We provide as much information as possible on the website of these locations.

Rooming and Boarding Houses do charge fees. We list them where we find them. They are a nice low cost option for housing.

Post Comment OR Correction
If you need assistance call 'Dann's House' directly at: 231-421-5290

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding Dann's House, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...