Sojourner House

386 Smith Street
Providence, RI 02908

401-765-3232 Go To Website Donate
Class of Housing/Services: women shelter, domestic violance,

General Information:
Among the services that Sojourner House offers are: Safe House - Emergency Shelter Sojourner House's Safe House is in an undisclosed location and serves as immediate, safe, temporary housing for abused women and their children. Transitional Housing - Independent Apartments Sojourner House also offers a transitional housing program for victims of domestic violence and their children.  Transitional housing may only be provided to victims exiting the Safe House, those who are homeless or in need of transitional housing as a result of fleeing a situation of domestic violence/dating violence, or those for whom emergency shelter services or other crisis intervention services are unavailable or insufficient. SERVICES -Mental health and substance use resources -Assistance with long-term housing -Educational, vocational and employment resources -Provide child advocacy -Weekly support groups both in-house and community based -Hablamos español  


Helpful Definitions For Sojourner House:
Transitional housing is affordable supportive housing designed to provide housing and appropriate support services to persons who are homeless or who are close to homelessness. The transition is to help them be more self sufficient to move towards independent living on their own. Transitional housing locations are oftentimes called Halfway Houses. The naming of the two (Halfway House OR Transitional House) is oftentimes interchangeable.

Many Transitional Housing programs are subsidized and are income based. Income based transitional housing generally charges 30% of your income for rent when you do have income. Contact the transitional housing facility to see if this applies.

Services provided at transitional housing facilities varies from substance abuse treatment, to psychological assistance, job training, domestic violence assistance, etc. The assistance provided varies, but it is generally affordable and low cost housing. Read the descriptions of each of the transitional living locations for more detailed information. Transitional housing facilities also may or may not assist with alcohol and/or drug substance abuse treatment.

How To Volunteer at Sojourner House:
Be a volunteer. Call Sojourner House at 401-765-3232 for current volunteer work opportunities.

As A General Note About Listings: does our best to provide listings that are free of cost. Many of the homeless shelters and services are free of charge. Some do charge small fees. We always urge the users of our website to visit the websites of the providers listed, OR give them a phone call to find out complete details.

In furtherance; Halfway Houses, Transitional Housing, and Substance Abuse Treatment Centers for the most part charge a fee. Most of the substance abuse resources we provide are low cost, Medicaid or sliding scale fee. We provide as much information as possible on the website of these locations.

Rooming and Boarding Houses do charge fees. We list them where we find them. They are a nice low cost option for housing.

Post Comment OR Correction

If you need assistance call 'Sojourner House' directly at: 401-765-3232

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding Sojourner House, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...