Family House Transitional Program

P.O. Box 457
Decatur, GA 30031

404-377-5365 Go To Website
Class of Housing/Services: Family Transitional Housing

General Information:
Family House Transitional Program Family House provides housing and support services to move families from homelessness to self-reliance in about 6 months. The program uses single-family houses and apartments throughout DeKalb County. Both single- and two-parent families can apply, and hard-to-place families, including those headed by single fathers or with teenage boys, are welcome. While participating in the program, families receive: - Housing - Utilities - Case management - Counseling - Financial management classes - A savings plan - Computer training opportunities - Referrals to other services, such as free child care, legal assistance, health care DCM Transitional Housing Dedication Ceremony Family House residents put 30% of their adjusted income into an account with DCM. At the end of their participation in the program, all but 10% is returned to the family as savings. This money can be used for rent, security and utility deposits, and moving expenses. Families can be referred to Family House by another agency, schools, congregations, or any advocate. They may also refer themselves. Minimum Eligibility Requirements To apply for Family House Program, you must meet the following minimum requirements: - All adults must be employed, be looking for a job, or be enrolled in a work training program. - Your family must be homeless as defined by HUD guidelines. This means you do not have the resources to get other housing — including options to live with friends or family, in a hotel, or in a private residence. You must also have an eviction notice, a letter from a shelter or other program where you have been living temporarily, or other written documentation of your situation. - Your family has multiple barriers to stable housing, such as multiple evictions or bouts of homelessness, large family size, a family member with special needs, or limited work experience, etc. - Your family must have at least one child younger than 18. - Your family must pay a minimum of 30% of its adjusted income into an account with DCM and must attend financial management classes.


Helpful Definitions For Family House Transitional Program:
Transitional housing is affordable supportive housing designed to provide housing and appropriate support services to persons who are homeless or who are close to homelessness. The transition is to help them be more self sufficient to move towards independent living on their own. Transitional housing locations are oftentimes called Halfway Houses. The naming of the two (Halfway House OR Transitional House) is oftentimes interchangeable.

Many Transitional Housing programs are subsidized and are income based. Income based transitional housing generally charges 30% of your income for rent when you do have income. Contact the transitional housing facility to see if this applies.

Services provided at transitional housing facilities varies from substance abuse treatment, to psychological assistance, job training, domestic violence assistance, etc. The assistance provided varies, but it is generally affordable and low cost housing. Read the descriptions of each of the transitional living locations for more detailed information. Transitional housing facilities also may or may not assist with alcohol and/or drug substance abuse treatment.

Post Comment OR Correction

If you need assistance call 'Family House Transitional Program' directly at: 404-377-5365

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding Family House Transitional Program, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...