Center For Veterans - Veterans Transitional Housing

3330 W. Wells St.
Milwaukee, WI 53208

(414) 342-5000
Class of Housing/Services: Veterans Transitional Housing

General Information:
Veterans Transitional Housing. Transitional housing programs assist people who are ready to move beyond emergency shelter into a more independent living situation. CVI's transitional programs allow veterans to further develop the stability, confidence, and coping skills needed to sustain permanent housing. Intensive case management makes the system work. All facilities require that residents maintain a sober and drug-free environment. Residents may stay for up to 24 months. During that time, the goal is to get the veteran ready for work and the move to permanent housing. Services provided to the residents include: screening; security; transportation; health and mental health services; food and nutrition programs; individual and family crisis counseling; drug and alcohol counseling; job training and education; housing counseling, including budgeting, housecleaning, and tenant rights and responsibilities. VETS Place Central (VPC) offers transitional housing to 72 veterans and single-room rental units to 12 age-eligible or disabled veterans. Day services are offered to eligible veterans. VPC is a full-service, one-stop homeless shelter providing a holistic approach to serving the homeless veteran population. Veterans must be motiovated to change their homeless condition by honest self-examination and commitment to learning new behaviors and attitudes. Some of the supportive services provided at VPC include: case management, benefits advocacy, life skills training, AODA counseling, employment training and placement, education assistance, personal financial management and referrals to permanent housing - all in a safe, sober environment

Helpful Definitions For Center For Veterans - Veterans Transitional Housing:
Transitional housing is affordable supportive housing designed to provide housing and appropriate support services to persons who are homeless or who are close to homelessness. The transition is to help them be more self sufficient to move towards independent living on their own. Transitional housing locations are oftentimes called Halfway Houses. The naming of the two (Halfway House OR Transitional House) is oftentimes interchangeable.

Many Transitional Housing programs are subsidized and are income based. Income based transitional housing generally charges 30% of your income for rent when you do have income. Contact the transitional housing facility to see if this applies.

Services provided at transitional housing facilities varies from substance abuse treatment, to psychological assistance, job training, domestic violence assistance, etc. The assistance provided varies, but it is generally affordable and low cost housing. Read the descriptions of each of the transitional living locations for more detailed information. Transitional housing facilities also may or may not assist with alcohol and/or drug substance abuse treatment.Emergency Homeless Shelters both provide short term relief for the homeless and low income persons. Usually there is a maximum stay of 3 months or less. Many of these shelters ask their clients to leave during the day. Meals and other supportive services are often offered. 3 times out of 5 these shelters offer their services free of charge.

Post Comment OR Correction
If you need assistance call 'Center For Veterans - Veterans Transitional Housing' directly at: (414) 342-5000

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding Center For Veterans - Veterans Transitional Housing, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...