Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency

185 E. Main Street, Suite 303
Benton Harbor, MI 49022

(269) 925-9077 Visit Website
Class of Housing/Services: Temporary Shelter for women and families, food assistance, emergency assistance.

General Information:
Temporary Shelter for single women and families in Van Buren and Cass Counties.     Supportive Housing Program     Rural Homeless Initiative Shelter Emergency Assistance includes emergency payments for past due electric/gas and rent to prevent disconnection or eviction; and migrant assistance with transportation, and limited medical needs. Food Assistance includes food pantries and commodity food for qualified individuals and families at sites throughout the tri-county area. Temporary Shelter for single women and families in Van Buren and Cass Counties. Housing Support includes Permanent Supportive Housing, Transitional Housing, processing housing voucher applications, and supportive service coordination for eligible clients.


Helpful Definitions For Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency:
Transitional housing is affordable supportive housing designed to provide housing and appropriate support services to persons who are homeless or who are close to homelessness. The transition is to help them be more self sufficient to move towards independent living on their own. Transitional housing locations are oftentimes called Halfway Houses. The naming of the two (Halfway House OR Transitional House) is oftentimes interchangeable.

Many Transitional Housing programs are subsidized and are income based. Income based transitional housing generally charges 30% of your income for rent when you do have income. Contact the transitional housing facility to see if this applies.

Services provided at transitional housing facilities varies from substance abuse treatment, to psychological assistance, job training, domestic violence assistance, etc. The assistance provided varies, but it is generally affordable and low cost housing. Read the descriptions of each of the transitional living locations for more detailed information. Transitional housing facilities also may or may not assist with alcohol and/or drug substance abuse treatment.Supportive Housing Programs that provide an alternative living arrangement for individuals who, because of age, disability, substance abuse, mental illness, chronic homelessness or other circumstances, are unable to live independently without care, supervision and/or support to help them in the activities of daily living; or who need access to case management, housing support, vocational, employment and other services to transition to independent living.

How To Volunteer at Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency:
Be a volunteer. Call Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency at (269) 925-9077 for current volunteer work opportunities.

As A General Note About Listings: does our best to provide listings that are free of cost. Many of the homeless shelters and services are free of charge. Some do charge small fees. We always urge the users of our website to visit the websites of the providers listed, OR give them a phone call to find out complete details.

In furtherance; Halfway Houses, Transitional Housing, and Substance Abuse Treatment Centers for the most part charge a fee. Most of the substance abuse resources we provide are low cost, Medicaid or sliding scale fee. We provide as much information as possible on the website of these locations.

Rooming and Boarding Houses do charge fees. We list them where we find them. They are a nice low cost option for housing.

Post Comment OR Correction
If you need assistance call 'Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency' directly at: (269) 925-9077

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...