Community Action Partnership for Somerset County

535 E Main St
Somerset, PA 15905

(814)445-9628 Go To Website
Class of Housing/Services: Non Profit Organization that provides housing assistance

General Information:
Housing Department The following programs are available (depending upon capacity and funding): Homeless Assistance Program (HAP): provides homeless prevention services that assist clients to maintain safe and affordable housing. HAP funds are used to assist those individuals that are at-risk of homelessness or are literally homeless to obtain economic self-sufficiency and secure permanent housing within the community. Preventative education and activities are utilized such as case management, housing search, placement and development of wrap around services from the local Continuum of Care. Requirements: 150% of the Federal Poverty level, homeless or at immediate risk of losing housing, agreement/lease with landlord, sustainable income to sufficiently pay future months of rent Services: rental assistance, emergency shelter Supportive/Transitional Housing Program (SHP): is an innovative housing approach that offers supportive housing and supportive services to homeless individuals and families within our community. SHP offers a transitional period to those individuals and families from homelessness to permanent housing. Case managers work closely to increase participant's skills and income in order to secure stability and live as independently as possible. The SHP program encourages participants to achieve self-determination through innovative strategies in order to transition out of homelessness. Requirements: literally homeless or residing in an emergency shelter Services: scattered-site units, rental assistance, housing first approach, supportive services, employment assistance Permanent Supportive Housing Program (PSH): offers long-term housing assistance with supportive services for individuals and families with a chronic history of homelessness and currently face barriers toward maintaining permanent housing such as serious mental health illness, substance abuse disorders, physical disabilities or chronic health conditions. The PSH program offers affordable, safe, community-based housing options within an individualized and flexible approach. This innovative program addresses the underlying conditions that have gone untreated or undiagnosed for many years, by developing a comprehensive and cohesive supportive system of services to encourage recovery and self-sufficiency within participants. Requirements: Literally homeless, chronic homeless history, disability Services: scattered-site units, rental assistance, housing first approach, integrated treatment for co-occurring disorders, assertive community treatment, supported employment, SOAR Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG): was developed as an amendment to the McKinney Vento Act. The ESG Program was developed to assist those homeless individuals and families living on the street, make necessary improvements and operation needs to the local emergency shelter, assist those that are residing in shelters, rapidly rehouse individuals and families and offer preventative resources to those that are at-risk of becoming homeless. Requirements: Must at or below the 30% AMI, literally homeless, residing within a local emergency shelter, or fleeing domestic violence. Services: Rapid re-housing, rental assistance, financial assistance (security or utility deposits), housing search and placement. Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF): offers temporary assistance to at-risk or literally homeless veterans within the community.  The SSVF program aims to enhance housing stability for veterans and their families through preventative and rapid rehousing approaches. Requirements: Veteran status verification (DD-214 Form), low income (30%-50% AMI), 1 day active duty status Services: rapid re-housing, rental assistance, financial assistance, housing search and placement.


Helpful Definitions For Community Action Partnership for Somerset County:
Transitional housing is affordable supportive housing designed to provide housing and appropriate support services to persons who are homeless or who are close to homelessness. The transition is to help them be more self sufficient to move towards independent living on their own. Transitional housing locations are oftentimes called Halfway Houses. The naming of the two (Halfway House OR Transitional House) is oftentimes interchangeable.

Many Transitional Housing programs are subsidized and are income based. Income based transitional housing generally charges 30% of your income for rent when you do have income. Contact the transitional housing facility to see if this applies.

Services provided at transitional housing facilities varies from substance abuse treatment, to psychological assistance, job training, domestic violence assistance, etc. The assistance provided varies, but it is generally affordable and low cost housing. Read the descriptions of each of the transitional living locations for more detailed information. Transitional housing facilities also may or may not assist with alcohol and/or drug substance abuse treatment.Supportive Housing Programs that provide an alternative living arrangement for individuals who, because of age, disability, substance abuse, mental illness, chronic homelessness or other circumstances, are unable to live independently without care, supervision and/or support to help them in the activities of daily living; or who need access to case management, housing support, vocational, employment and other services to transition to independent living.

How To Volunteer at Community Action Partnership for Somerset County:
Be a volunteer. Call Community Action Partnership for Somerset County at (814)445-9628 for current volunteer work opportunities.

As A General Note About Listings: does our best to provide listings that are free of cost. Many of the homeless shelters and services are free of charge. Some do charge small fees. We always urge the users of our website to visit the websites of the providers listed, OR give them a phone call to find out complete details.

In furtherance; Halfway Houses, Transitional Housing, and Substance Abuse Treatment Centers for the most part charge a fee. Most of the substance abuse resources we provide are low cost, Medicaid or sliding scale fee. We provide as much information as possible on the website of these locations.

Rooming and Boarding Houses do charge fees. We list them where we find them. They are a nice low cost option for housing.

Post Comment OR Correction

If you need assistance call 'Community Action Partnership for Somerset County' directly at: (814)445-9628

Posting Comments below is for viewers on this website only. If you have information that can help users regarding Community Action Partnership for Somerset County, please provide it below.

Enter your full name, first and last
comment being added...