RCS Homeless Shelter New Bern
New Bern, NC 28560
UPDATE THIS LISTING
RCS operates the only emergency homeless shelter in three counties, serving Pamlico County, Jones County and Craven County. The shelter can accommodate approximately 20 people – 12 men, 5 women and one family with separate dorm rooms for men and women and a family room reserved for a family with children.
Each shelter guest is assigned a bed and a locker to keep their clothes and belongings in. When a person enters the shelter they receive a toiletry bag with sheets, pillow and comforter for the bed. The shelter also includes an area where they can wash and dry their clothes and have use of a microwave and a small refrigerator. Most residents will eat their lunch in the SOUP KITCHEN and then at night there are various churches that volunteer to bring food and fellowship to the residents.
The following day the new guest is required to meet with the Shelter Director for assessment and counseling. Shelter guest are expected to stay no more than 30 days, however exceptions can be made.
The following is an example of just SOME of the rules that are listed in the shelter’s admission package.
- Within Two (2) days of admission, meet with the Shelter Case Manager
- Within Four (4) days of admission, must have registered with the NC Employment Securities Commission and at least 2 temporary employment agencies.
- Within Seven (7) days of admission, set forth “in writing” their own Individual Plan / Goal that they will be working toward during their stay at the Shelter.
- Each day, complete their “daily log/inventory” to track their progress toward their Individual Plan/Goal.
- The Shelter is closed from 8:00am – 12 Noon every Monday – Friday (except Holidays).
- Night Curfew for all Shelter guests is 6:30pm. Any guest who is working, attending any 12 Step Meeting or any Church Function can sign out of the Shelter for that specific purpose.
- Guests are required to clean their own area and to assist in cleaning the common areas of the Shelter in accordance with the requests of the Staff or Shelter Trustees.
- Guests are expected to take a shower once a day.
- All prescribed medication is to be turned over to the Shelter Staff for safekeeping. (For the Safety of all, narcotic medication is not permitted even if prescribed.)
- Guests are to change clothing in the bathroom, with the door closed. They are expected to wear appropriate street attire at all times in the common areas, and appropriate sleep attire in their dorm room only.
- Parents must accompany minors at all times. Shelter guests are not permitted to babysit.
Attendance at any religious service or session is totally voluntary and is not required in order to receive Shelter services and / or any other service provided by RCS.
Did you find a problem with this listing? Please notify us of changes needed.
Emergency Homeless Shelters both provide short term relief for the homeless and low income persons. Usually there is a maximum stay of 3 months or less. Many of these shelters ask their clients to leave during the day. Meals and other supportive services are often offered. 3 times out of 5 these shelters offer their services free of charge.
Be a volunteer. Call RCS Homeless Shelter New Bern at (252) 637-4185 for current volunteer work opportunities.
ShelterListings.org does our best to provide free services. Many of the homeless shelters and services are free of charge. Some charge small fees. We always urge users of our website to visit the websites of the providers when we provide them or give them a phone call to find out more details. Our service is to provide a list of possible resources.
Halfway Houses, Transitional Housing, and Substance Abuse Treatment Centers for the most part charge a fee. Most of the substance abuse resources we provide are low cost, Medicaid or sliding scale fee. We provide as much information as possible on the website of these locations.
Rooming and Boarding Houses do charge fees. We list them where we find them. They are a nice low cost option for housing.
If you need immediate assistance call RCS Homeless Shelter New Bern directly at: (252) 637-4185
ShelterListings.org is an informational assistance website providing listings only. If you have information that can help users regarding RCS Homeless Shelter New Bern, please provide it below.